How do I teach my puppy its name?
Use your puppy’s name when calling it, praise it when it responds
How do I get my puppy used to wearing a collar and lead?
- Firstly get your puppy used to wearing a collar by putting it on for short periods of time
- Start with a light collar, not too tightly buckled
- Once they are used to wearing the collar add the lead and let your puppy wander around with it, keep him under supervision in case of accidents
- Pick up the lead and coax him to follow you
How do I teach my puppy basic commands?
- Keep the lessons short, around 10 minutes a time at regular times Use short words like: Come, Down, Heel, Sit, Stay
- Show him what you want, clearly saying his name, followed by the command
- Use a little food treat or a toy to encourage him and a happy tone of voice
- Praise him when he gets it right but never punish him for not obeying a command, as he will associate the command with punishment
- Make the lessons fun and he will delight in pleasing you
- Most areas hold obedience classes